About weapons and stuff.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

About weapons and stuff.

Post by Iosif on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:56 am

Question and suggestions.
How varied will the weaponry be? 'Cause I'd love to have a huge variety of handguns, rifles and shotguns.
Do you already have the ammo categorized by caliber?

And since I've read that you guys love realism, I was thinking that, for starters, you don't have infinite magazines, you'd need to adquire magazines and their different types, such as STANAG mags with 20, 30 round variants as well as drum and Beta C variants. Extended glock mags, etc.
And lastly, you'd need to manually reload the magazines, and obviously the magazines would keep count of how many bullets are in it.

I of course can see how doing all that (specially adding different kinds of magazines) would be difficult, but it'd be quite a nice touch.
Just imagine the stress of being in a firefight and not having any spare mags, and having to manually reload the magazine. Of course that'd just mean people would have to prepare even further before engaging in a conflict.

Iosif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: About weapons and stuff.

Post by FiresRiot on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:28 pm

Most definitely. While still much WIP, allow me to share some of the structural details of weaponry. As realism lovers, we endorse the idea!

Reloading:
R for rapid ejection of magazine (current mag is dropped on the ground - shorter duration)
F1~F4 depending on where you've loaded your spare mag for insertion.
G for standard ejection of magazine(current mag is put back into your pouch - longer duration)
F for checking mag (pulls out the mag and does a rough remaining round count)

Callibers featured(tentative)
5.56 NATO
223 Remington
243 Winchester
260 Remington
6.5-284 Norma
.264 Win Magnum
6.8 SPC
7mm Remington
7mm Rem Magnum
7mm R.U.M. Magnum
7.62 Nato
.308 Winchester
.308 Winchester
30-60 Springfield
.300 Win Magnum
.300 R.U.M.
.338 Lapua Magnum
.408 Chey Tac
.416 Barrett
.50 BMG

Other than Stanags, we will also have P mags and other variants. Our Magazines will have more interesting aspects to gameplay other than simply accommodating more bullets. The type of magazine will contribute to total weight, time it takes to reload and their sturdiness.

Tell me, how do you feel about melee weapons though? These will be mostly used for construction and breaking into buildings but hey they can also take down some zombies in tight situations.

Rudolf 

FiresRiot
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IceNoodleBowl on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:44 pm

Here is a pic with 3 melee weaponry. The third one, hammer, is kind of hard to see because of the vegetation.

IceNoodleBowl
Admin

View user profile http://projectgreenpage.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FiresRiot on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:53 pm

Where the  on fire is the hammer??? huh?? hmm 

Rudolf 

FiresRiot
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by momomo544 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:49 am

FiresRiot wrote:

Reloading:
R for rapid ejection of magazine (current mag is dropped on the ground - shorter duration)
F1~F4 depending on where you've loaded your spare mag for insertion.
G for standard ejection of magazine(current mag is put back into your pouch - longer duration)
F for checking mag (pulls out the mag and does a rough remaining round count)

I personally think that R should be the standard ejection for the magazine. As most people who play FPS' are used to that being the "Reload" key, your control scheme will end up with a lot of accidentally dropped magazines. If you switched it around and made G rapid ejection and R standard, I think that would be best.

momomo544

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IceNoodleBowl on Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:03 am

valid point there, whilst the keys can be configured to player's preference, we do have to have a standard key layout. I will definitely bring this up and discuss this
 Stress 

IceNoodleBowl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iosif on Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:36 am

For starters, I love the gun system that you have planned. Two thumbs up! If you need help with the reloading system, I have handled revolvers and handguns IRL, so I personally know how it is to reload them and the feeling of loading in a magazine (both loading bullets in the mag and inserting the mag into the gun).
Also don't forget to differentiate the regular reload and the tactical reload.

About the calibers, nice list, but you're forgetting important calibers:

.22 LR
.38 ACP
.45 ACP
.454 Casull
9x19 parabellum

About melees, well, I definitely vote for blunt katanas (more common than what you'd think, and more common than regular cut edge katanas, specially because they lack the cutting edge, which makes them cheaper and the parents of a lot of kids are more willing to buy them)
machetes, all kinds of kitchen knifes, all kinds of blunt swords (again, very common. Easier to find stores filled with blunt bladed weaponry than with cutting edge blades), all kinds of tools that you'd find in a toolkit and chainsaws.

And IMO they wouldn't do much damage if you don't know how to use them, e.g., a hit with a blunt or bladed weapon won't do much damage against the center of mass of a zombie who feels no pain and refuses to die, but you could use a blunt weapon to crush the zombie's legs and make it an easier target, or if you're skilled enough, you could use the bladed weapon to cut the muscle articulations to inmobilize the zombie and make it bleed out.
Here's another thing about zombies. It's already stretching science and realism a lot to have zombies, but come on, everything needs blood to be healthy, so zombies should be able to bleed out too and that'd make them rot way faster, make them weaker and more easy to damage.

Iosif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FiresRiot on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:52 am

ah indeed the .45 ACP was left out.

Interesting point you raise about the katana. Katana as we all know has had its status inflated in games like L4D 2. Not anything to do with a series but rather the Katana. Katana is a slashing weapon and you'd find it surprising that it dulls quickly when slicing through bodies. And without the correct training severing limbs or heads is difficult and rather counter productive ( number of zombies killed to your energy or stamina). The common dulled katana for appearance would not last a single proper slash. However we do know the popularity of the Katana as a melee weapon in all Genres  laugh . Skyrim has them, dead pool carries a few varied pair. Tom Cruise used to use them. The list goes on.

As for blunt weapons you are right. There won't be much use to a zombie who has no sense of pain. But regardless of how strong you are a clear blow to the head with any blunt object will send you off the field.  boxing  hurt  red card . However your point on tactical cutting is interesting. It would make sense that even if you are a zombie, losing your tendons and muscles would hinder your movements. Dynamic injury to the body is a good suggestion.  is that so? 

Rudolf 

FiresRiot
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Iosif on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:34 pm

The Katana dulls after slashing through 3 people I think it was. But a real Katana with a cut edge is still quite dangerous even in a noob's hands. The mastery that is used to forge katanas is such that the slashes you do before it gets blunt are deadly effective, regardless of where you hit. You could, say, aim to cut a head and fail, but you'd still be cutting into the shoulder area quite nicely, making very deep cuts.
And of course the dulled katana won't slash anything, but it would still work for stabbing (with a bit of practice, you could stab through a zombie's neck no problem) and with the dynamic injury, you could effectively damage joints at the expense of the heavy recoil the hit would cause.

Iosif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FiresRiot on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:00 pm

I believe the numbers you have there are more or less correct. After the 3rd strike or 3 people ( assuming it's 1 slash a kill), the blade becomes dull to the point of ineffective strikes. You are correct on the part of making a deadly slash regardless of target. But that is if the wielder of a katana is master SmileTwo 3rd Dan at least? Which I think, might be wrong here, is the point where most dojo's permit kendo practitioners to carry and practise with a real bladed edge (we are talking about a legitimate blade that can be used in mortal combat).

As for stabbing, although it would still stab through some softer parts, such as the eye, lower abdomen or perhaps a neck, we have to question how practical it is. Do we really want to carry a long metal sword for stabbing? We could opt for a simple kitchen knife which is smaller or even a crowbar which is far more sturdier.  2thumbs 

Sliding a bit off topic. A wide variety of firearms is what we aim for. Though generally Green Page is not all about guns blazing laugh

Rudolf 

FiresRiot
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Iosif on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:34 pm

But I'm all about guns blazing OnKnees.

And the reason I can think for carrying a long metal sword for stabbing is to keep the zombie away. With a smaller knife or even a crowbar you're left at arm's reach for the zombie, who could then attack you back if, say, you fail to hit a weak spot and he just ignores the hit.

Iosif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FiresRiot on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Touche on the range laugh but I wouldn't want to mess with a whole bunch of zombies  crossLaugh 

Rudolf 

FiresRiot
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Iosif on Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:03 pm

M4A1, holo sights, laser and grip attachments, a few spare mags, a Sig Sauer P226 and a combat knife or a bat? Bring it on, bitches! Hero 

Iosif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IceNoodleBowl on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:19 pm

I can promise you that M4A1, holosights are definitely in laugh

IceNoodleBowl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content